What is Scalp Eczema?
Scalp eczema is an inflammatory skin disorder affecting the scalp area and can be identified by several symptoms such as redness, rashes, flakes and skin crunchiness. This condition is harmless to the patient but it can be a painful, annoying and embarrassing affliction because of the unsightly appearance. As it affects the skin rich with the sebaceous glands it is also known as Seborrhoeic dermatitis.
Causes for eczema of scalp
Eczema of scalp is generally caused by the over production of the sebum, an oily secretion of the sebaceous glands in the scalp. This oily secretion fuels the overgrowth of the normal skin fungus called the Malassezia, which has been implicated in the development of dandruff. Other potential causes that results in Seborrhoeic eczema are greasy hair or skin, dry skin, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalance, genetics, stress, excessive sweating or exposure to allergens or irritants. People with HIV, Parkinson’s disease, weak immune system, nervous system problems and family history of allergic eczema, hay fever or asthma are also prone to scalp eczema.
Symptoms of eczema of scalp
One of the most obvious and prevalent symptoms of seborrhoeic eczema is an oily scalp characterized by extremely itchy, red and irritated skin with yellowish skin peels. This skin condition ultimately turns into dandruff. Persistent itching of the scalp causes scratching which produces sores, painful blisters or weeping lesions. This could result in severe scarring and permanent damage to the hair follicles resulting in loss of hair. The outbreaks are most common to appear on the scalp, around the eyebrows, chest areas, shoulder blades, on the skin in the external ear and in the skin folds.
Remedies and treatment for seborrhoeic eczema
Treatment measures for eczema of scalp can alleviate and reduce the symptoms but it cannot cure the condition completely.
- A medical shampoo that is anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and sebo-suppressive can help a lot. Medicated shampoos which include active ingredients like zinc pyrithione, salicylic acid and ketoconazole used on a regular basis can help you tremendously to control the symptoms. These shampoos will work effectively in reducing the fungus on the skin.
- Topical creams and ointments made from coal tar or corticosteroids can soothe the irritation, relieve itching and arrest flaking. Maintaining proper skin and hair hygiene is crucial in this matter.
- It is necessary that one should keep stress and tension under control.
- Pure neem oil with its amazing anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and tea tree oil reduces flaking.
- Dandruff sufferers can use olive oil. Usage of hemp oil or lavender oil can also nourish and moisturize the scalp.
- It is also evidenced that honey water solution can help prevent dandruff in a couple of weeks.
Scalp eczema is an uncomfortable and troublesome condition. Hence if you witness any signs or symptoms relating to this issue it is advisable to seek the help of a dermatologist at the earliest to prevent the skin disorder from getting worse.