It is common that after facing some skin disorder, the after effects of that disorder leads to another skin condition. One such condition is scalp sores. These are not visible as they are usually covered by hair on the head but if ignored can lead to hair loss. So a proper diagnosis of this disorder is required and it is completely curable.
What Are The Causes And Symptoms Of Scalp Sores?
There can be many causes which could be identified only after proper diagnosis. But some common causes are:
- Ringworm: If you find that you are having round red patches which are swollen, then this can be ringworm. It is a kind of fungal infection of the skin.
- Pemphigus: If you are suffering from this condition then you should contact a doctor immediately. As in pemphigus, healthy cells are attacked by immune system thus causing itchy sores.
- Psoriasis: Turnover of the cell in our body takes about a month, but under this condition it takes only some days. Due to the immaturity of skin cells, they group on each other to form itchy sores.
- Impetigo: This condition happens due to bacterial infection which usually happens to unattended cuts on the head and result in sores on the scalp.
Treatments For Scalp Sores
In order to treat the sores it is important that you treat the condition that is causing the sores. This is why you should always consult with a doctor for expert advice. Only a proper diagnosis can find the root cause behind the sores.
In case of ringworm you are required to take antifungal medicines for a period of 4 to 12 weeks. Along with this medicine, it is very common to use some antifungal shampoo.
In the cases of Impetigo, antibiotic medicines are given in order to eliminate the bacterial infection.
The real difficult treatment is when the problem is due to immune system. In pemphigus it will be advised by the doctor that you take either oral medicine or injections. Use of some topical cream may also be recommended. But you must keep in mind that the medicines of this disorder have side effects. The treatment can also last for years till you are fully cured.
Response to the treatment of Psoriasis is different for every patient. So doctors have to try several different treatments. At first you would be taking some topical treatment. But if that does not work, you may be given phototherapy which is exposing affected area to light in order to reduce the growth of cell turnover. Finally doctors may go for oral medication and in some cases medication by injection.
How To Prevent Sores On The Scalp
The primary reasons for sores are bacterial infection, fungal infection or immune system problems. Thus the precautions that you should take are:
- Washing hair with shampoo that is antifungal.
- Washing hair soon after exercising so that the sweat won’t stay on your head for long time.
- Cuts and bruises on the head should be cleaned immediately.